Pirkei Avot playlist

This is my pirkei avot playlist, in this project we were asked to connect 5 verses in chapter 2 to songs. I hope you enjoy my pirkei avot.

Verse 2:3

Song: Without me by Halsey

Halsey – Without Me (Lyrics)

I chose the song “without me”, by Halsey. The verse explains that you should not be friends with someone who will only be with you when they need something. You have to be careful when you are befriending someone. This song relates to the song “without me” for various reasons. 

• A girl gave everything to the boy she liked.
  • The boy was using her to get back on his feet.
  • Once he was good again he left her. 

In the song a girl helps her boyfriend that lost everything, once he was good again, he left her. “And then I got you off your knees, put you right back on your feet, just so you could take advantage of me” (Halsey). Halsey was in a one-sided relationship, where she was helping her boyfriend, but her boyfriend wouldn’t return the favor. Later in the song she is singing “thinking you could live without me” (Halsey)? Clearly explains that after he leaves her he doesn’t know how to treat himself and loses everything again. This is a problem in the world and is something that is explained in this song and the verse of pirkei avot.

Verse 2:7

Song: KARMA by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift – KARMA (Lyrics)

I selected the song “KARMA” by Taylor Swift, due to the fact that it has a great comparison to verse 2:7. The verse in pirkei avot explains that the way you treat people will come back to you. Because the skull (person) drowned people and the people who drowned the skull will drown. In other words, what you do will come back to you. This isn’t just talking about being bad, but hidden in the text it explains that being good will come back to you. Everything you do comes with consequences. 

This song relates to the song KARMA because a thief is stealing from all around the city, he tries to run but karma is catching up to him. 

Spider-boy, king of thieves

Weave your little webs of opacity

My pennies made your crown

Trick me once, trick me twice

Don’t you know that cash ain’t the only price?

It’s coming back around” (Swift).

The man drowned because he killed other people, the thief was arrested because he stole from other people. This is an extremely similar situation to the verse. Later in the song Swift states in her song: 

​​”Ask me what I learned from all those years

Ask me what I earned from all those tears

Ask me why so many fade, but I’m still here” (Swift).

If you didn’t understand that, she is saying that since her friends were bad, they disappeared. On the contrary she was good and karma was on her side. That is why verse 2:7 relates exactly to the song KARMA. 

Verse 2:5

Song: a song for judgemental people by Mandy Siu

a song for judgemental people – Mandy Siu (Cover + Lyric video)

The song “a song for judgemental people” is extremely similar to the verse 2:5. In the verse it explains to always be important in the community, you can always improve, so don’t believe you’re perfect, don’t judge others until you get to know them, don’t overcomplicate things, don’t say secrets that will be brought to the light, and don’t say you’ll study later, you might not have time. I took out the idea of not judging other people. This part of the text connects exactly to the song “a song for judgemental people” by Mandy Siu. In this song a girl was bullied, the bully didn’t think anything of it, until the girl came back looking better than ever. She tells the bully that they should’ve got to know them before they bullied her. “I hate to tell you this, you judge too quickly, and you don’t respect me at all” (Siu). The girl was quiet but fun, and the bully didn’t know that. They should’ve got to know her, but once they did it was too little too late. 

Verse 2:9

Song: ABC by The Jackson 5

The Jackson 5 – ABC

The song ABC by The Jackson 5 relates to verse 2:9, because in the verse it explains: No matter how much you know, your knowledge is only a small portion of knowledge in the world. In a different perspective this song is explaining that no matter how much you learn, you can still learn more. In the song this isn’t an exact relation to the verse, but it is informing us that learning is so important. In the song this boy is teaching a girl more to learn. 

“​​You went to school to learn girl

Things you never knew before

Like “I” before “E” except after “C”

And why 2 plus 2 makes 4

Now, now, now

I’m gonna teach you, teach you, teach you

All about love girl, all about love

Sit yourself down, take a seat

All you gotta do is repeat after me” (Jackson 5).

This is telling us that the girl went to school but she still has much to learn. In the text it explains a very similar concept, where no matter how much you learn you still can learn more. Learning is very important and that is why I chose this text. 

Verse 2:16

Song: ruin my life by Zara Larsson 

Zara Larsson – Ruin My Life (Lyrics)

The song “ruin my life” isn’t so similar to the text but the portion I chose connected exactly to verse 2:16. The verse talks about how there is an evil way to see, there’s an evil urge and hatred of others can lead to taking someone’s life. Unfortunately, thousands of people kill themselves due to hatred of others. This verse relates exactly to the lyrics I chose in “ruin my life”. In the song a girl was abused and she had to leave the relationship. “You set fire to my world, couldn’t handle the heat” (Larsson). This connects to the hatred portion in the verse. This is taking away lots of time in her life, and it didn’t take her life, but it took her time. This song also has a subtle connection to the rest of the verse. From the boyfriend’s perspective, you will get a general idea that he had an evil urge and an evil way to see things.

Thank you for reading.

0 Replies to “Pirkei Avot playlist”